Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What I'm going to miss

Aside from, well, everything:


  • The word "koselig" and everything that goes along with it
  • Smågodt
  • Weekend breakfasts, with bread, knekkebrød, eggs, kaviar, brunost and jam, and so many other toppings I could never fit into one meal
  • Drinking way too much coffee
  • Being foreign and people's reactions when I answer "ja" to "forstår du ka eg sier?
  • The challenge of speaking and understanding another language
  • Spotify
  • Meeting so many new people, and just using "well, I'm the exchange student" as a shield to be braver than I normally would at home
  • That bread slices go in a basket before you eat them
  • Spending hours laughing on skype with exchange students cause we have nothing better to do
  • giant blocks of jarlsberg cheese, brunost, waffles for dessert, too much chocolate, and all the other good stuff that's made me gain weight this year
  • Thinking and dreaming in norwegian
  • Randomly putting up paper and painting on the walls in art class since we have no teacher
  • Laughing at ridiculous ads playing on the radio while getting ready in the mornings
  • Walking to school during sunrise, and home at sunset
  • Everyone I've met here, whether I see them every day or just ran into them a few times
  • Hearing my name misprounounced in so many adorable ways.
  • "Jeg heter Lauren" "KAA? Maureen? Naureen? Laurie?" "LAUREN" "Laureeeeen?" ...close enough haha
  • Reading someone else's name and having no idea how to even begin pronouncing it. And then forgetting the name right afterwards cause it was so different
  • English teacher: "Lauren, you don't even have to be here today" ...ok! 
  • Licorice...!
  • "you're from Canada - so you play hockey right?"
This is just the beginning! although I'll have to do a "things I won't miss" post too. Ridiculously narrow roads where you better hope your bus doesn't meet a car going the other way, for example. I have a feeling that list will be much shorter though.

Og jeg må bare si, Tonje sin siste blogg post egentlig inspirert meg å skrive dette, selv om det jeg skrev var egentlig helt annet. Hun har en kjempe fin blogg, og dette innlegg gjorde meg til å smile hele tiden mens jeg leste den :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh Lauren, you're so sweet! I love those small things that should be appreciated more often. It's so sad that your time in Norway soon is over.

    What I am going to miss is to run with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hvorfor har jeg ikke funnet bloggen din tidligere? Jeg finner det virkelig underholdende å lese om dine oppfatninger rundt Norge! Hah, jeg ler meg nesten i hjel :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enig med Siw Malèn! Ler meg ihjel av alle de rare småtingene du legger så godt merke til, som bare en en selvfølge i min hverdag. Veldig interessant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!!
    haha, jeg synes at det er gøy å komme på disse små tingene.

    =)

    ReplyDelete